Monday 4 August 2008

St. Petersburg



It all started innocently enough, a chat to Lawrence over a late night drink. Lawrence is the editor of the South Manchester Reporter and ever the news hound, showed interest in the blog. So an interview was arranged with Susannah, who agreed to experience the full deal and accompany me to the new Russian eatery on Sackville St, St. Petersburg. My initial nerves were assuaged on meeting Susannah, who proved to be an engaging, intelligent and entertaining dining companion.

We gorged our way through Borsch, Derevensky, Gorodskiye and Miasnie Kotlety as well as the odd vodka. The food, I have to say, was excellent and I will return.

We swopped histories, stories and enough jokes to fill an entertaining evening at the Leningrad Empire. And I hope Susannah got enough copy to win a Pulitzer.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

The South Manchester reporter, eh? You'll find fame before you know it! Let me know if you are featured and I'll make sure I don't recycle it that week :)

Katie said...

Russian- thats interesting. I dont think there is a Russian restaurant in Leeds! Im inspired!

hopeful said...

Hi Rob,

Glad to see you're enjoying your summer hols.

Unknown said...

This restaurant was appalling when I went. We turned up at 8pm, eventually got the first course at 9.15 and the mains at 10.30. My suspiciously small sea bass was cooked to within an inch of its existence, and they put vodka in my coffee, in spite of my insistence on not wanting any alcohol.

robert hamilton said...

Sorry to hear that Jez. This was the first time I'd been and it was good. Subsequent visits proved to be less satisfying but still ok. I'll go back and see.